Things that are good for you and bad for you

Hello! Ok, so everyone in the entire world has to do things that they hate. Everyone has those day's they have to wake-up at 5AM for work, they have to drink icky cold medicine to get rid of a cold, or they just have to get a flu shot. I have a long list of my own. Generally though, these things don't hurt you as they cure you, except maybe the flu shot.
In my life, i have been subjected to many things that were "good for me" that either hurt me, made me sick, didn't do anything, or sometimes even did more harm than good.
When i have a Line (or IV) infection i generally take a antibiotic called Vancomyacin. This antibiotic is one of the best at getting rid of the bugs. Unfortunately for me, I'm allergic to it. This means that every time i take the medicine, i experience a reaction called RMS. (otherwise known as Red Man's Syndrome) As you can guess by the name it causes me to, starting with my head and working its way down my body, turn bright red and become extremely itchy. Vancomyacin is the best antibiotic so i still have to take it. Therefore before i take the antibiotic i am given a mega dose of Benadryl. It ends up being something like 4 times the amount a person my size would normally take. Benadryl makes you really sleepy. With the large dose this generally means i'm out for a good 2 hours. This is especially bad if the doctors want me on the meds every 6 hours. Basically that means every six hours i take medecine, i go to sleep for 2-3 hours. Then it takes about 1-11/2 hours to fully awake from my medicine induced sleepiness. This would not be such a huge problem except that now because of the number of times i have had to use it, i am beginning to become more allergic to the Vancomyacin meaning i need more Benadryl and i have even begun needing other medications. This would be filed under the things that are "good for me" that hurt me.
When i had a blood clot in my arm, they gave me a medicine called Lovanox. Of course, the only way to administer Lovanox is by giving yourself a shot in your legs, arms, or stomach. Not only does the medicine hurt ALOT while it goes in, it causes huge bruises all over wherever the shot was injected. The medicine also made me heal a lot slower so the bruises hung around a really long time. I was doing two shots a day and so eventually i could not sit on my legs because they hurt so much. Also i couldn't even wear shorts in the summer because the bruises showed so much. This shot was good for me in the long run because it got rid of my blood clot, however the pain and lasting effects caused me to not acknowledge this for a while.
Another thing that has been supposedly good for me are those terrible tasting Protein shakes. All my doctors have said "you need the extra protein" but if you have ever tasted those things then you would know that they taste AWFUL!! And yes, im sure there is a brand out there that is actually tasty, but i have not found it yet. I don't understand the secret rule that says medicine should taste terrible.
But the whole point of this particular post was not to just complain about annoying or painful things i've had to take or do. The point was to say, Yes, there will be things that are awful, painful and downright torturous. But they do have some benefit. Vancomyacin gets rid of infections. Lovanox gets rid of blood clots. Protein shakes give you more protein. Most of the time the best thing to do is trust your doctor. They try their best to give you the least amount of pain or discomfort while curing you. That doesn't mean you shouldn't complain. Complain as much as you want. Just make sure that you follow their directions anyway.
Alright, so that was my not so quick rant of the day! Hope you found some form of helpful information from it. Maybe you'll take my advice to listen to your doctor. Maybe you'll take my permission to complain more. Or you'll take my challenge of finding a good tasting protein drink. (Good Luck, if you can honestly find something that doesn't taste awful, i will award you one gold star *)
Any of these would mean that someone is getting something out of this blog and thats its purpose. Alright, this is Celia Fairbanks, a girl with baggage, signing off.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts