A Quick Emotional Rant

Hey all!! This is gonna be one of my quick posts of just something that was on my mind. I've always been one of those people that have said they will never drink, or smoke, or do drugs. I think that in many ways it comes from my background. I grew up around people that showed me that it was bad and all the terrible outcomes. Since elementary school I've heard about how peoples lives could be ruined by these habits. In middle school i took health and watched all the terrible movies about lung cancer patients and looked at the pictures of diseased livers affected by alcoholism. But in all my years of health class there was one video, only one, that seriously scared me.
It was that video "Super-Size Me" about the guy that decides to eat McDonald's for every meal for a whole 30 days. Somewhere between the middle and the end of the movie he goes and sees this man who is going to have surgery to lose weight. Then the guy doing the "documentary" has his blood levels tested and his doctors tell him that they suggest he stop because it was hurting his body, specifically his liver. For me, a person who has been fighting to be healthy my whole life, this was enough. Many students in my class just found it disgusting and one person even grew sick to their stomach. But i had an entirely emotional reaction. I quickly asked to go to the restroom and i broke down in the hallway, sobbing. The nice security woman at my school found me and took me to the main office where i called my mom and was slowly able to calm down.
There were many reasons this movie had affected me so much. One reason was that i didn't understand how anyone could let their body become so overweight, so unhealthy, simply for a TV show. Trust me when i say that I LOVE TV but this was taking it way too far. Another reason was that my constant need of TPN all my life has a negative side. There's always the chance that my liver will no longer be able to fully function with the high levels of fatty acids. In fact, for much of my childhood i distinctly remember Doctors being shocked that i hadn't already a transplant and completely astonished that i wasn't even on the list for one. The idea that someone would continue to harm their liver, physically hurt me. I think however, that the main reason was that this man had a fully functional, healthy body. And yet, he still was okay with basically trashing it. Even after his doctor told him that it wasn't a good idea and that it it wasn't safe to continue, he didn't stop.  He continued to inflict harm on himself by eating that food.
Getting back to my main point. I think one of the biggest reasons that i have never even considered drinking, smoking or doing drugs is that i think my body has been through enough without me adding anything else. My liver works so hard, why would i make it work any harder. My body has lasted through so much terrible stuff, how could i possibly justify unnecessary harm to myself. Because somewhere down the line, maybe things won't work as well. Or maybe sometime in the future i will need some type of medicine that is hard on my body. Could i really do that to myself and then in 15 years look back and say "well, i tried my hardest." No. If i did any sort of alcohol or tobacco or other drugs, i would not be able to look back and say that i tried my hardest to stay healthy.
Well this turned into a bit of a long emotional rant, but i think i needed to say it. I'm definitely not saying that anyone needs to follow my example. I believe that everyone has their own right to choose how they want to live their life and what they want to do. I don't believe in condescension because of something you do. Your life is up to you and your job is to decide how to live it based on your views. But do remember, somewhere out there, there is a girl or a boy or a man or a woman whose body is fighting against them. Take care of yourselves for those people. I hope everyone is having a good day. I'm sure you'll hear from me soon. Au revoir.

Comments

Popular Posts