The NPO Diaries: Day 1

Hello everybody! So my weekend went a little downhill. Nothing that i can't deal with, just a minor set back. My doctors have decided that they want to figure out why I'm not staying hydrated. So, in order to figure it out, i am in the hospital and am being told not to eat or drink anything for around 3 days. :(
They are doing this because when you eat and drink, it drags more water out of you making it easier to for you to get dehydrated. So, i am here at the hospital for at least the weekend hooked up to fluids round the clock. I am getting full TPN so that i don't get hungry and i have been eating my way through a pack of bubble gum...its not even real sugar but its something, and at this point anything is better than nothing. They want to figure out what my baseline is so they can figure whether I'm losing fluids because of a virus or whether it is because of a vitamin or nutrition imbalance in my TPN and fluids.
I have make-up work for school and electronics to mess with to keep me from becoming too bored. Everyone here at Georgetown Hospital is excited for the Super Bowl. They gave out cute goodie bags and even though i don't follow sports and couldn't decide which team to root for it was fun to get in the spirit. They also had cupcakes and pizza, but everyone was nice enough to hide those from me. It originally wasn't that hard for me to not obsess over my inability to have food right now, but i have now begun to feel the ache of hunger. Well, not the real ache of hunger, I'm on TPN so i don't actually need food, but i definitely want it! So far I've been found myself randomly craving Baguette, Sour cream, baked potatoes, caesar salad and grilled cheese sandwiches.
Well I've got to find something else to keep me occupied, probably homework. I have to try do as much  homework as possible before i go back to school so that i am not too far behind. Also, if i don't find something to do, I'm going to keep obsessing over food. I hope everyone has a wonderful night and I'll speak to you tomorrow. Adios!

Comments

  1. At least missing out on hospital food is not exactly a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts