National shortages

Hello everybody! So this past couple weeks have been cray-cray! The last 2 weeks of school always is. I was busy with lots of studying, last minute make up work, and stressful testing. I have now successfully gotten through the hectic 3rd quarter and am catching my breath before I run towards AP testing, final exams, and summer vacation.
Recently I got an email from the Oley foundation asking me to tell my story to the government. The government has been looking into why there keep being drug shortages. I was happy to help, because I have experienced my share of frustration with drug shortages.
About 4 months ago my health care providers tools me that they were gonna had a hard time getting me iv multi-vitamins. The multi-vitamins that I needed were on a national shortage. This meant that I wasn't exactly sure whether I would get my vitamins each week. A couple months later my doctors told me that I needed to increase the amount of vitamins I was getting. Because of the national shortage I was not able to just use iv vitamins and had to start taking these large chewable vitamins. We're not even sure if the part of my gut that I have actually absorbs vitamins. It has been very frustrating that I can't get the medicines that I need.
Also, if you have been reading this blog you would know that I was recently diagnosed with low calcium. About 2 weeks ago my coordinator called me and let me know that they were no longer going to be able to add calcium to my TPN. This has been very frustrating for me because I was told by my doctors that I had to take lots of calcium because otherwise my bones would become weak. Yet now I can't actually get the calcium I'm supposed to have. I take calcium pills but just like multi-vitamins were not sure how much of it I actually absorb.
So back to my main point, Oley wanted people to write about their story and how much drug shortages affect their lives. I think it's really important for people to speak up about problems with the healthcare system. That way when the government tries to fix something, they have your story as an example of what people go through and how much they need it to be fixed.
I hope everyone is well. I am currently enjoying my spring break at the beach :) it's quite cold so no actual fun in the sun, but I have some books and a patio that looks out at the ocean. The perfect relaxing holiday after such a hectic school quarter. I'm going to try to post a lot more while I'm on breakup might be hard though because the place I'm staying DOESN'T HAVE WIFI!!!. I wish everyone a wonderful spring and ill talk to you all soon. Celia out!

Comments

  1. Hello, Celia! With our shaky economy, hoarding is predictable. But this incident proved to be a blessing in disguise to me. When my multivitamin became out of stock because of other people's hoarding, I had to resort to alternatives. For example, to get an adequate does of calcium, I bought milk, yogurt and cheese. This event made me realize that, all along, I could get the vitamins I need from food that we have plenty of. Since then, I stick with natural food. And it was a good decision, since I later found out that processed vitamins actually have a negative effect on my liver. Anyway, enough about me. How are you now? I hope you're okay, and I hope you'll consider my suggestions. :)

    Maragaret Schmitz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts