Just Checking In

Hey everybody! I hope everyone is doing well. I just thought that before i write a regular blog i should give everyone a quick update with my life. I am currently in the hospital. This particular stay has been very hectic and complicated. So lets start from the beginning.
About 2 weeks ago i took my AP English Language and Composition test and went home. I took a nap, had a snack and then went over to my friends house where we enjoyed a fun night of video games and pizza. I then went home, checked my email, hooked up to TPN and chatted online with a friend for another 20ish minutes. I was just falling asleep when i began to shiver. I got a fever and my hakes got worse so me and my mom got in the car and headed to Georgetown.
I was ushered into the emergency room where i was given some antibiotic and fever reducer. The very nice Emergency room nurse drew blood and i tried to go back to sleep.
A little while later i was taken upstairs to a permanent room and was told that my cultures had grown. A little while later we discovered that my blood had grown gram negative, gram positive and fungi. This mean that i grew three different types of bugs, including a fungus, which is very hard to treat and more often than not is too sticky to save the line. After about a week we decided on the best course of treatment. I went down for surgery and my central line was pulled and a PICC line was placed. A PICC line is like a longer stronger version of a peripheral iv. The Pros were i could go home until the doctors felt the fungus had been completely eradicated and then i could get a new central line. The negatives were that it was prone to clotting (something i would rue at a later date). I went home to a family party on Sunday. I was even able to go to school on Monday. It was a weird schedule so i only went for a half day.
On Tuesday we needed to come back for a check up an my arm was hurting. I just assumed that the iv in my arm was still healing. we got here and the doctors quickly realised that i was showing symptoms for a clot.
I was readmitted to the hospital. I am now currently waiting here with an iv in my arm, bandages all over and bruises covering my legs (Lovanox, the drug that breaks down and prevents clots can only be administered in shot and leaves very prominent bruises) for my line placement on Tuesday, also know as my 17th birthday!
Anyway, so all this of course has had a bit of a toll on me. I am frustrated and sad that i cant be home and instead have to deal with the stress of the hospital, but i am glad that we are working as hard as possible to let this be the last time i am here for a while.
I hope everyone is doing well and best wishes to the victims of Tornadoes in the mid west. Baii!!

Comments

  1. Is today your birthday? Have a great day. I hope everything went well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts