TFIOS Part 1: My Connection

So if you've ever met me in person then you probably know i'm a bit of a bookworm. Books and Tv are probably my two biggest weaknesses. Give me a book and my chatterbox persona disappears and in her place is someone that can get swept into a book world and never return. I love reading, i've been tearing through fiction since I could understand a chapter book and before that it was bed time stories by my dad. 
Tonight I went and saw a movie adaptation of one of my favorite books, "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. I first want to say that it was an amazing movie adaptation and that there was not a dry eye in the house. If you have not read/seen the book/movie and plan to do so this is a *SPOILER ALERT* I have been the victim of spoiled movies so I want to make sure everyone that reads knows what they are getting in to by reading this post.

John Green is one of my favorite authors because of his ability to enter the mind of teenager and understand how they are feeling. Many authors tend to see the time between 12-20 as a transition period and sometimes they overlook that what teenagers feel and experience is just as important as what they will experience later in life. In fact often it is these experiences that shape who they will be in the future. He has written other books, all that I would recommend, however this particular story definitely made an imprint on my life. I have read many books in my life and certain books have left part of their message etched into the fabric of who I am. Books like the Harry Potter series, the Kite Runner, Little Women, Watership Down, What the Moon Saw, and yes - The Fault in Our Stars. 

To those who have not read the Fault in Our Stars (TFIOS), the book is about a girl named Hazel Grace Lancaster, who loves a particular book, who meets and falls in love with a boy named Augustus Waters. They also both have or have had cancer and are dealing with the day to day problems of living with and experiencing the treatment and side-effects of dying from cancer. 
Now I have never had cancer so I have no experience with the life of a cancer patient, but I have lived with a chronic medical condition since I was born and have been through some really tough times. I've dealt with bad/good nurses, i've had friends that have also been sick, and i've had my parents to help me through it all. In many ways Hazel Grace is someone that I can connect with. 
Despite my love of books, there is rarely a time that I can fully connect with a character because very few books are about teenagers living with chronic health conditions. Instead I choose to read a lot of fantasy and fiction, books where a girl can become a knight, can do magic, and can save the world from disaster. All while being funny and intelligent. 
Yet TFIOS managed to give me a character that not only can I connect with, but someone that I can actually understand her mindset. I've been in that emergency room, i've been the girl with the tube coming from her backpack, and i've been the girl that finds solace in a book.
This book/movie made me cry more and smile more than anything i've read in a long time. I HIGHLY recommend this book and you all are likely to have a couple more posts about it before I can get it out of my system and move on to something new. So I hope to write more soon, but until then please everyone enjoy their summer. Okay?

Comments

Popular Posts